Sister Mary Charles McGough was head of the St. Scholastica Art Department from 1959 to 1967. Through her long and productive art career she gained international recognition for her woodcuts, meditative sacred paintings, icons, and works in other media. She designed and carved St. Scholastica's Peace Doors as well as other art on campus. She created the St. Mary's Medical Center logo; other examples of her art are on display at Duluth churches and at the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center. Sister Mary Charles was the recipient of the St. Scholastica Inspiration Award for her positive impact on students.