Mother Agnes Somers was The College of St. Scholastica's first president and served the longest tenure (1924 to 1942). She established the practice of the Monastery prioress serving as the College's president. Known as "the Builder," she oversaw the completion of Tower Hall and connected it via enclosed cloister walks to a new library/chapel complex, as well as to Stanbrook Hall, all of which were finished in 1938. Many of her achievements came despite severe challenges presented by the Great Depression. Under her leadership, programs began in the liberal arts and professions such as Nursing, Medical Records, and Medical Technology.