Once residing on the corner of 5th Avenue West and Superior Street was the Spaulding Hotel. The architect for the project was James J. Egan, and construction was completed in 1887. The Spaulding had over 200 rooms and reached 8 stories in height. Due to the steep slope it was built on, part of the hotel was underground. The hotel was a temporary home to many important people passing through Duluth, including Sergei Rachmaninoff. In 1905, it was bought by the J. L. Washburn Estate and sold to the Duluth Housing and Redevelopment Authority in 1963 for Demolition.